Wednesday, September 16, 2009

what is love?

my amazing friend Amanda asked me the other morning if I had ever been in love... i told her that I thought i was once or twice, but thinking back on it I realized that it was more infatuation than love. then she asked me what Love is. I thought for a minute and then started writing, I said: "Love is a mystery. A powerful, vague, crazy, whirlwind of mysteriousness. Sometimes I wonder if its real or if I'll ever find it... its Craziness, laughter, tears, joy and sorrow. is't love. and I don't know." I asked her what she thought and she said she thought the same thing as me, but also that she loved what President Hinkley said about his sweetheart Marjorie, he said: "Before I married her, she had been the "girl of my dreams" to use the words of a then popular song. She was my dear companion for more than two thirds of a century, my equal before the Lord, really my superior. And now in my old age, she has again become the Girl of my dreams." how beautiful... I want that... and now I want to ask anyone who cares to read this, What is Love? :)

6 things people said...:

Camille said...

love is caring for the other person more than you care for yourself.

Brittany said...

geez... complicated question! Love seems so simple and idealistic when you're young... and now it seems like it involves so much more. It's fun and happy and good, but it can also be vulnerability, overlooking the not-so-fun-and-happy things, and alot of work! did you see the movie Just Married with Ashton Kutcher? i love at the end when his dad tells him that true love is when you work through the not so great times in order to make it from one happy polaroid to the next! i'll shut up now...

Shelly said...

Love for kids is cleaning up puke, staying up all night, changing poopy diapers (and sometomes underwear) and still loving them like crazy.
Love for Aaron is dealing with PMS-like behaviors, having fish tanks, and picking socks up off the floor and still wanting to have him around...most days.
Love for sisters is remembering when they called me Stormy or Stormer and laughing, missing them terribly whilst watching Austen-like chick flicks, and thinking Totino's pizza just isn't the same in Colorado...and wishing they would come live with you.
Love is different for everyone.

David and Janalee said...

Love is complicated! I loved your answer though.

For me Love is-
so much more than butterflies in your stomach, sweaty palms, or your heart pounding like it will burst from your chest at any given moment...although those are all great feelings

Love is- realizing one day that you are a better person because of the person standing next to you.

It is sitting together in total silence yet carrying on a conversation at the same time.

It is a head cocked to the side and a quick wink that lets you know that despite life's complications everything will be okay

It's a kiss on my cheek each and every morning before he heads out the door to face the world

It's a inside joke shared between best freinds

It's having someone support you in each and everything you choose to do even if he is only there to catch you when you fall

And it is so much more than that- I just know that it gets better with time.

Another thing I know is that you will find it one day and it will be when you least expect or even want to find it.

Love you!

Marilee said...

i heart president hinckley... he is so amazing!

Love is knowing everything will be okay because you have that someone to make you feel secure....

Love is a feeling that keeps on getting better with time... My good friend Brad Paisley simply said...
'I thought I loved you then'

Love is living with a mustache for a whole month.

Love is a smile when you think about the one you love...

Love is just plain awesome.....

I LOVE YOU!!!

Jill said...

love is sisters who stay up all night to help a slacker and their only payment is a heart attack

love is still getting a flippy tummy when you see your one true love

love is forgiveness

love is being able to laugh about it when you feel like you should be crying

love is a squeeze on your hand from a two year old