I don't know if I have ever missed someone this much. I'm not sure if it's just the time of year or what, but in church on Sunday, some little comment that one of the speakers made sent me into a whirlwind of longing for my Grandpa. my Grandpa Hurst that passed away when I was 7. I mean, I've missed him since he left us, but I don't know that I've ever missed him this much. I've been remembering the short time I had with him in greater detail than ever before. I remember him giving me "horsey rides" on his foot while he sang "Ride a cock-horsey to banburry cross, to see a fine Jennie upon a fine horse..." I remember the giant Family File machine in his bedroom. I can picture with perfect clarity his dark hair, his big dark glasses, his happy kind smile and the way just being with him for a few minutes lit up my small world. I can see him, shovel in hand, working in his giant garden. I can hear him telling me I was too small to help plant the potatoes. I can smell the earthy scent of the millions of marigolds that bordered every square inch of his front yard. I can see the piano in the back corner of his living room, it's keys all chipped and cracked from years of use and matchbox car races along them. I remember the year I got new bed sheets from Grandma and Grandpa, I thought they were awesome. I can feel the tupperware shape toys that I played with evey time I went to visit, I can see every painting Grandpa ever did, smell the yellow cake with chocolate frosting, I can smell the saw dust in the garage, and I can see the wooden toys he made. I remember their flocked white Christmas tree with the silver ornaments. I remember walking to the park on the 24th and sitting on Grandpa's lap for the fiesta days parade. I remember thinking that Grandpa was superman, and that his stay in the hospital was going to be a short one. I remember walking through the door the day Mom and Dad told me he was gone. I remember curling up on Daddy's lap, and sobbing for hours, then curling up around the coffee table leg when Dad needed to comfort Mom. I don't think I've cried that hard since. I remember seeing him for the first time in his coffin, his nearly black hair had turned white, and I knew somehow, that he was safe. and I remember how it felt to give him one last kiss on the cheek. I remember. I miss him.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 things people said...:
Wow! After I get a tissue and dry my eyes I have to say I have been thinking a lot about him lately too. Your memories just sent me down a road I have not been down in a couple years and I am so happy you took me there. Lots of memories from that great man we are so lucky to call Grandpa...I did not realize you were only seven when he died. My last moments with him were giving mom a break while he was in the hospital, he was so so sick and on so much pain medication, he sat up and yelled at me for being there when he did not know me one second and then told me how muched he loved me the next. he was gone just a few hours after that. Boy do I miss him sometimes!
Geez Jennie, I am a cry baby now!
Loves to you,
Janalee
This is a beautiful post. It is so hard to lose loved ones. Thank heavens we will be with them again someday :)
Thanks for the good cry. I miss him too.
Jen,
I didn't know him, but thanks so much for blogging that it was so touching.
I love you!
luv,
emily
i cannot remember if i've seen your blog before or not, or if you even remember me- i used to work at the B.L.! anyway, i saw your blog off of facebook and just wanted to say hey! i hope you had great holidays!
Post a Comment