Wednesday, August 20, 2008

a gift, or a lesson?

I really dont know why I find this so funny...but for some odd reason Rafael the El Salvadorian Tailor (that is his superhero name...) has a funny little habit. Actually he has several...one of them is to start conversations with me (or really anyone at the Mac) in Spanish...I think there are maybe 3 guys that Parle Vous Espaniol (yeah yeah, that's French and Spanish! ...I think...I'm not a Linguist) anyway another one of his little quirks is this... whenever he asks me to do something, before he asks, he gives me a small gift. this gift can be anything...a handful of trail mix or a peach, one time he offered me half of his Tamale, he is very generous. this morning, before asking for an envelope (in Spanish, while using hand gestures that seemed to me like he was asking for my first born child) he handed me a Munch bar...he kind of bows a little bit while handing it to me...(I dont know if really bows or if it just seems like he's bowing because I'm sitting at a desk...but for the sake of the funny-ness factor, we're gonna say he bows...) and immediately after I took the "gift" he started gibbering in the Espaniol and pointing and gesturing...he tries (I think) to throw in a few English words, but mostly I have to concentrate really hard on guessing what it is he needs. please don't misunderstand, I'm not being ungrateful, and I dont mean to be racist, I really do have a fondness for the little guy (he's maybe 5'4...on a good day...while wearing platform shoes) he's one of the sweetest South Americans I know. I just like that he gives before he receives. I think its a lesson I need to learn. I mean, I love getting presents, (...ahem...my favorites are Pirate's Booty, books, candy and Diamonds...in case anyone is wondering... =D) but I love giving presents as well. I'm not gonna pretend that I like to give more than I like to receive, in all honesty they are about even in my book, depending on the day and just how much Booty is at stake... (Hint Hint HINT Janna!) I guess I just wanted to say that I have learned a lesson or two from my co-worker Rafael. Give first and you have a better chance of receiving. have a great day!

9 things people said...:

Shelly said...

That's a good story. I like the gifts....and the bow-ing...the bows did make the story! I will bring you gifts of peanut m & ms prior to my asking for a haircut. That way, if you no likey the M&Ms I will gladly remove them from your sight.

Jason said...

You can practice by giving me something. I am a very good gift receiver. PS, Pirates Booty rocks.

David and Janalee said...

I love that I can get you to do most anything when it comes tothe booty! I will try to send you a booty fix in the next couple days I promise! Love the story, I needed to hear that today, Thanks!
Olives!
Janna (lee)
or Jan-nalee if you say it like Taylor and Kinners

Marilee said...

what a good lesson to be learned... always bow and present jen-jen with a gift or small fortune when wanting something in return! i love this idea!

Unknown said...

Are you trying to hint to me what I ought to surprise you with?

Jill said...

Jennie- I could give you a gift that just keeps on giving and it would be called Parker and it would be a gift that you could keep and love for a whole Friday night (or any day/night of your choice). Wouldn't that be the best?!? Hah! Take that Pirate Booty!

Think about it... you know you love him...

PS- he like to be read to...
He HE HE

Astrid said...

How about you give me a gift, and transfer your butt up to the Mr MAC in Bountiful! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. . .

Colt 'n Tami said...

love the ideas. WAHOOOOOOOOO! Your so stinkin much fun! YAY can't wait to see what baby Judd is!

Astrid said...

You know you're getting those high heels for your "distant future baby!" I was kind of a little bummed that Marilee is having a boy, although infant cross dressing could be the BOARD ROOM floorset that follows the lingerie floorset!