Thursday, December 4, 2008

I agree.

I found this on my friend's facebook page this morning, but it's funny because I was just ranting to Kari yesterday about how tired I am of this exact same thing...


okay seriously folks, has anyone else noticed a trend in the lack of communication lately? honestly, i don't know if it is just the fact that parents are failing to teach their children proper social skills to allow them to survive, or that us as children have simply failed to grasp the lessons taught us, but either way, it disturbs me to witness the evolution of our communication. i'm talking about anything from breakups and fights through text messages, to getting fired over text, (seriously, it happened) instant messaging, and text messaging, while being useful tools, have grown into something much more mainstream than i believe it was ever intended to be. and that kinda bothers me. its starting to get on my nerves that a girl who has been dating my mate for 3 months can send him one text message and think that she is in the clear. Or when my chum gets pissed at me for something, he sends me a text? CALL ME!! Since when did we decide that its okay to abolish face to face communication or even a phone call? it all has to tie in with people getting lazier and taking the easy way out. don't even get me started on that. for now, lets all just focus on picking up the phone, taking a drive, sitting down, and having some quality conversation with someone, especially the people we care about. show people how much they matter to you by putting a little effort into the way you communicate with them. thats all.

P.S. if i hear one more girl tell me to text cha cha to find out the answer to a question i swear i will rip your heads off and pour jelly down your neck and sacrifice you to the gods of jelly!!

Hayes.



very wise Mister Hayes, very wise...I'm with him all the way. what is the world coming to? I think somewhere in the back of our minds we think the impending rejection will hurt less if it's in text/IM form...I'm really tired of being asked out over text and facebook, come on guys, grow a pair! (sicky, I know. but it needs to be said) but I will admit that I'm guilty of sending mass texts inviting people to things, and I've even texted people who were in the same room as me to avoid others "overhearing" a private conversation. I'm all for boycotting the whole text/IM/cell phone monster, but I know if I do, my biggest fear will turn into reality and I'll end up like one of my clients, we'll call her Annie, for the sake of annonitmity, Annie is a 65 year old single woman, living in her Mom's basement, complete with Geri-rails, Geri-chairs, saltine crackers for digestive purposes and extra tall toilet seats, she spends her days wondering why her social life suddenly dissapeared into oblivion, being bitter about past relationships, and attacking innocent young beauty school students for living thier lives, and dating around. let's face it...I'm halfway there as it is, (we've had a Geri-chair in our shower since Mom's surgery) and I don't wanna get stuck on that train, since we know I already bought my ticket for the crazy train. :)



love ya! Jen Jen

4 things people said...:

DBA said...

Oh, I'm totally with you. I also think that facebook, and IM and text just make it easier for people to be dishonest. With themselves and with others. But I also think that they can be good tools as well. I guess we all just have to find a happy medium. I hope I have!:) It kind of freaks me out to think of what technology will be like when my kids get older. What is the world coming to?

Shelly said...

So, I have actually refused to text (save one funny picture to a dear friend on her b-day) because of these reasons! I had a bday party for Olive and a person showed up and just texted the whole time. Rude to the surrounding people. However, in Facebook's defense, it's an easy way to keep up on pics and lives when there are a lot of peolpe to keep tabs on. I'd be on the phone all the day long and my poor babies would never ever eat.

Haley's Life said...

Kids (and adults) definitely need proper etiquette taught to them when it comes to texting. Me included. I loved the fact that while an annoying salesman was taking a very long time to check me out (30 minutes) I could text my sister (who was patiently waiting for me outside the store) and tell her what a motard he was. Right in front of his face!! How rude is that? LOL! Technology rocks--but like all great things, in moderation. A great rule of thumb--email is for fact, phone is for feeling. While we are on the subject--there was a feature the Today show called "Sexting" texting can be just as dangerous as the dear old PC.....crazy technology, however, I must admit--I am a fan.

jennie said...

haley...you sound so grown up right now...it's freaking me out!
love you girly!