Wednesday, September 24, 2008

um...so not true.

One of my biggest pet peeves is this, ignorant people assuming that because my Family is from a small, rural town in central Utah, we are a (huge) bunch of hicks. Sure, we all have our hickish moments, (like the times, yes, timeS, Jared got his Bronco stuck in a mud hole or the times we spent our nights in the canyon making tinfoil dinners and roasting marshmallows) and yes I do own 2 pair of cowboy boots, (but if my favorite pair were black they'd be more like biker boots...) Sure I have 2 sisters and a brother that live on could-be farms, yes, I do listen to country music on occasion, and albeit rarely, it may have even been normal to see a couple of people riding horses down the street in the summer when I was little, (not in an Amish way, just people on their way to the canyon.) and you know what? I may have even been to a few wedding receptions where the groom wore Wranglers with his Tuxedo top. (no brother of mine ever did that, I'm just sayin' I've seen it is all) On the other hand, we don't own any farm type animals, not even a dog for Pete's sake, the only time I've ever been camping is YW girl's camp, my Dad doesn't own a gun and if he did, he would NOT polish it on the front porch while waiting for one of his Daughter's dates to arrive. I never went to the grocery store, church, school or even to a friends house without being neatly dressed and clean. My Mom never showed up at school in her house coat and slippers because I forgot my lunch. We were always raised to treat our elders with respect and to teach the little ones to do the same. all 12 of our names are all pretty normal, (Marianne, Janalee, Melissa, Jared, Lindy, Jill, Shelly, Jonny, Marilee, Jennie, Mike and Joey) not to mention my 33 nieces and nephews, (no way in heck am I gonna list all of them) and even my brothers and sisters in-law (yes I realize, we had no control over what their parents named them) are for the most part pretty average, everyday names. no Cletus's or Candie's, not even a Billy-Bob or Norma-Jean. (okay, I'll admit that when he was growing up my Dad was called John LeRoy or John L, and if Grandmother were still alive, she'd still be calling him that) My point is, this is something that pisses me off so badly that I feel inclined to blog about it. I am more than grateful that I grew up where I did. not to get preachy, but I wouldn't be who I am today if I had grown up in lets say, Chicago or LA or even Orem. I may be from a small town, but I was raised right. (yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking, you were raised right in a big city, I could make all kinds of assumptions about you right now...Drug Addict) my point is, that not everyone that had the privilege of growing up small town, is a hayseed-plow-child and not everyone who had the privilege of growing up big city is a gangsta-rap-street dancer. let's just stop assuming things okay? lets be honest, we all know that assuming only does one thing, makes a big ol' ASS out of you and me. thanks for reading my little rampage...I apologize if I offended anyone, and if I did offend you, why are you still reading? looser...just kidding...or am I?

5 things people said...:

Astrid said...

HA HA, you are so funny and CORRECT! Besides, wasn't it Marilee wearing the Wranglers under her wedding dress? JUST KIDDING! I also grew up in a small town and let's face it's, I'm one hell of "gangsta-rap-street-dancer," but then again you already knew that, as does everyone who set foot in TCP at a "slow time!"
You are so funny Jennie and I don't know why anyone would think you and your family are a Hicks, they must be mentally ill!

Marianne said...

Jennie, I know where this is coming from! Obviously there are alot of very close minded people out there with 3 syllable names!! We all know the truth about Payson! I feel the exact same way you do! NICE POST!
P.S. Who names a baby Chuck?

David and Janalee said...

The following must be read in the best hick accent that you can muster up-

Gresh Dern you folk who thinks we Payson folk be hicks! Don't suppose you ever got to play in a crick yer whole dern life, and I betcher bottom dollar you never did git to kill yer own supper- man those were the days when we was goin down to the fields to hunt us up some grub- best dern times of my life. Good golly yer all just jealous that what you is...big city folk got nothin on us, I' rather be grown up in a small town that a big city fer sure and just cuz we are a big bunch in our family don't mean we aint raised right- my momma taught me right, heck I even showered fer my weddin, and spit shined my best shoes- now if ya'll excuse me, I gotta go get that possum off the ruff it'll make a might fine tastin dinner.

Unknown said...

The only people who could reasonably name their kid Chuck are people named Norris...and even then, their babies would have to be born with beards sharper than steel wool.

Ashley said...

I totally agree, Tyson makes comments all the time about me being from a small town so I must be a hick, nothing makes me more mad then that, and I make sure he knows it. His dad is a bigger hick then anyone I know so I don't know why he makes comments about me being from Spanish Fork, or living on a farm, I've never stepped foot on a farm. Ugh...it makes me mad!!!